"Designing and Building with Rammed Earth"
Each Rammit Yourself Workshop covers soil selection and testing; forming walls and corners; installing electricity, plumbing and window and door blockouts; mixing and tamping dirt; and stripping forms.
Each will include instruction in designing and building with rammed earth, including technical data and supervised hands-on experience constructing a wall.
The curriculum will include:
- Forming a rammed earth wall with modular forms and embedded insulation.
- Installing electrical outlet boxes and conduit.
- Hanging OSHA-approved scaffolding from the forming system.
- Comparing rammed earth reinforced with rebar versus post-tensioning rods.
- Writing specifications for stabilized and water-resistant rammed earth.
- Making rammed earth test cylinders using ASTM standards.
- Mixing, placing within forms, and tamping dirt.
- Stripping forms from finished wall.
- Designing headers, bondbeams and roof-attachments.
- Maintaining tampers.
- Evaluating soils and house plans brought by attendees.
Several housing options in the area are available, from camping out to staying at a Hilton golf resort. Please call for further information.
Lunch is provided each day.