Leading Effective Science Instruction to Promote Student Learning -- A 2-Day Session for MS and HS Science Educators
Join PIMSER for a 2-day immersion into what effective science teaching and learning looks and feels like. We will deep dive into content from OpenSciEd units to help teachers understand how to interactively explore these scientific concepts with their students, and elevate successful student learning and performance in the process.
This training will prepare educators to return to the classroom and lead an OpenSciEd unit relevant to their students' curriculum.
Target Audience: Middle School and High School Science Teachers, Instructional Coaches and Cooperative Science Leads.
We will cover OpenSciEd units for each high school course and for grades 6th, 7th and 8th (see session topics and dates below).
Physics: Energy Flow from Earth’s Systems
10-17-23 and 10-18-23
Chemistry: Thermodynamics in Earth’s Systems
10-19-23 and 10-20-23
Biology: Ecocsystems: Interactions, Energy, Dynamics
10-31-23 and 11-1-23
Middle School Grade 6
11-13-23 and 11-14-23
Middle School Grade 7
Cells and Systems
11-16-23 and 11-17-23
Middle School Grade 8
11-27-23 and 11-28-23
- Develop a deep understanding of the OpenSciEd curriculum specific for a high school course (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) or grade level currently offering 6th, 7th and 8th.
- Engage with the unit as a learner of science and reflect as a teacher.
- Navigate the OpenSciEd Instructional Routine to support students developing a coherent storyline of their learning of science ideas.
- Leave with strategies that will make the learning come alive in the classroom as they make student ideas visible.
- Develop a network of colleagues who teach your grade or course that you can lean on as you prepare to lead the unit with your students.
- Walk away more confident to implement the unit in your classroom.
Location: varies by session
Registration Fee: $400.00
Registration fee also covers: refreshments and lunch each day, Teacher Guide for their Grade Level or Course Unit (list below), and a Teacher’s Handbook.
**Not included: the student facing OpenSciEd kit of materials needed to teach relevant unit in the classroom**
How to order kits for the classroom from PIMSER's preferred vendor:
ECA Science Kit Services
Jeny Apt, VP of Business Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
Quote Request: www.eca.bz/quotes
Supporting our students in developing the critical thinking and skills needed to master the Kentucky Academic Standards for Science requires us to use high-quality instructional resources . . . resources that push student AND teacher thinking . . . resources that build student capacity in each dimension of our standards.
OpenSciEd is this type of standards aligned (3Dimensional), Phenomenon Driven, high-quality instructional resource. It is what we want science learning to look like for every student. The Science Classroom becomes a place where students are building their capacity to think critically, like real scientists, to make sense of the world around them. Students engage in thinking with the Crosscutting Concepts as a way of understanding real-world phenomena. Students deepen their understanding of the Disciplinary Core Ideas as they figure out problems.